Can You Recover for Injuries in a One-Bike Motorcycle Accident?
How Do You Get Damages in a No-Contact Crash?
Because of their very nature, motorcycles are more prone to loss of control. In fact, one of every four motorcycle accidents nationwide does not involve contact with another vehicle. What are the common causes of no-contact motorcycle accidents, and are there ways you can still recover for your losses?
The Common Causes of No-Contact Motorcycle Wrecks
No-contact motorcycle accidents are typically the result of:
- Careless or wrongful conduct by other motorists that causes a biker to take evasive action and lose control of the bike. Among the various acts that can cause no-contact motorcycle accidents are:
- Driving while distracted by a handheld device
- Violation of traffic laws, such as speeding, not stopping at a light or stop sign, or not yielding the right of way
- Changing lanes without warning
- Failing to check your blind spot
- Roadway defects, such as potholes, loose gravel, uneven pavement, or mud/water on the road
- Defective or malfunctioning components on a bike
Seeking Compensation After a No-Contact Accident
The legal principle for pursuing damages after a no-contact accident is usually negligence—the same standard that applies if your bike collides with another vehicle. To prove negligence, you must show that someone—the manufacturer of the bike or a component part, the person maintaining a road, or another motorist—failed to act as a reasonable person would under the circumstances. You must establish a causal link between that breach of the standard of care and your no-contact motorcycle accident and also show that you suffered actual losses because of the accident.
Contact Our Office
At the Lee Law Firm, we have extensive knowledge and experience successfully handling motorcycle accident claims. Call us at 973-315-9080 or contact us online to schedule an appointment. We are currently available for client consultations via phone or videoconference. We are available to talk with you evenings and weekends, if necessary. We welcome all major credit cards. Nosotros hablamos español.