Aggressive Newark Personal Injury Attorney
Motor Vehicle Accidents | Car and Automobile Crashes | Construction Site Injuries | Dog Bites and Animal Attacks | Motorcycle Accident Injury Claims | Slips, Trips and Falls | Truck Accident Injury Lawsuits | Work-Related Injuries and Workers’ Compensation
Nothing can prepare you for the changes that a personal injury will bring to your life. You may be unable to work, either for a short period of recovery or ever again. You may need extensive medical care, which may not all be covered by insurance. You’ll likely experience physical pain and suffering, both in the immediate aftermath of the accident and potentially for months or years to come. You may have to give up many of the activities that you love, things that brought joy and meaning to your life before the accident.
When the carelessness or negligence of another person causes you to suffer any type of loss or injury, you have the right to hold the wrongdoers accountable. The Lee Law Firm can help.
Proven Personal Injury Lawyers in Newark, NJ
Attorney Edward Lee brings has fought for the rights of injured people in Newark and across New Jersey for more than 30 years. A highly effective and respected trial advocate, Ed has been certified as a civil trial attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court for nearly 20 years. He’s been selected as a member in the “Top One Percent” by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel and has long been recognized as a New Jersey Super Lawyer. His clients have rated him as Excellent with Avvo and he’s included as a Top Lawyer Lifetime Member of the Global Directory of Who’s Who.
The Scope of our Personal Injury Practice at the Lee Law Firm
At the Lee Law Firm, we give comprehensive legal counsel to people in Newark and across New Jersey who have been hurt in any type of accident:
- Car wrecks—We protect the rights of drivers and passengers in claims based on T-bones, rear-end collisions, head-on crashes, sideswipes and other automobile collisions
- Construction site injury claims—We represent workers on residential or commercial construction projects who have suffered injury as a result of falls from heights, dangerous or defective tools or machinery, falling objects, “caught-between” accidents, jobsite motor vehicle crashes, and carelessness or negligence by co-workers or employers
- Dog bites and animal attacks—We handle claims alleging strict liability after a dog bite or negligence for any other type of animal attack
- Motorcycle crashes—We pursue full and fair compensation for people who have been injured as operators or passengers on a motorcycle, whether in collisions with other motorists or single-bike crashes
- Slip and fall accidents—We seek damages for individuals who have suffered injury on residential or commercial property stemming from the carelessness or negligence of property owners
- Truck accidents—We know that commercial truck accident claims can be complex, with unique challenges establishing liability and difficulty determining the full extent of all potential damages. We understand the requirements set forth in state and federal trucking regulations and know how to deal with trucking insurance companies to get the compensation you need.
- Workplace accidents, including workers’ compensation claims—We will be your advocate at any stage of a New Jersey workers’ compensation claim, from the application for benefits through any appeals that may be required.
How Do You Establish Liability in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Though a personal injury claim may always allege that injury was intentional, as a practical matter, most personal injury actions are based on the legal concept of negligence. To successfully prove negligence to a jury, you must demonstrate that:
- The at-fault party breached the duty to use reasonable care (failed to act as a reasonable person would have under the circumstances)
- The breach of the duty of reasonable care caused an accident, injury or illness
- You suffered actual losses as a consequence of the accident or illness—you cannot recover for losses that are paid for by insurance or recovered elsewhere
What Are the Different Types of Damages that Can Be Recovered in a Newark Personal Injury Lawsuit?
In a civil lawsuit alleging injury or illness because of the carelessness or negligence of another person, you have a right to pursue damages for all loss or injury:
- Lost wages or income related to your injuries
- Physical and/or mental pain and suffering caused by your injuries
- Any unreimbursed medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident
- Any loss of the ability to participate in activities that brought enjoyment before the accident
- Your loss of close or intimate contact, consortium or companionship
- Any damage to or loss of property caused by the accident
How Much Money Can You Reasonably Expect to Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
The damages available in a personal injury claim are typically divided between “economic” and “non-economic” losses. Those that are relatively easy to calculate, such as wages and income, medical expenses and property loss, are considered “economic” losses, and are usually supported by documentation. However, you can also pursue other, more subjective losses (known as “non-economic” damages), including pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of companionship/consortium. With respect to these non-economic or speculative damages, courts often use a “multiplier” approach, determining the amount of economic damages and multiplying it by a factor of 1 to 5.
What Injuries Can Be Compensated for in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
You have the right to seek full and fair compensation for any injury, whether it’s a sprain, strain, muscle pull or other soft-tissue injury, or constitutes a serious and catastrophic loss. Personal injury cases often involve claims for:
- Traumatic brain injury, including concussion
- Spinal cord trauma, such as herniated or bulging discs, nerve impingements or vertebrae damage
- Broken bones or fractures
- Permanent scarring or disfigurement, including road rash
- Paraplegia, tetraplegia or quadriplegia
- Burns of any kind
- Amputation or loss of limb
If the carelessness or negligence of another person caused the death of a family member, you may be able to file an accidental or wrongful death action, seeking damages for loss of support, loss of guidance and comfort, loss of services, and funeral/burial expenses.
Contact Our Personal Injury Attorneys in Newark Today
Take the right steps to get your life back after a personal injury Call us at 973-315-9080 or contact the Lee Law Firm online to schedule a free initial consultation with the Lee Law Firm. We can come to your home or the hospital to meet with you, if necessary. Evening and weekend appointments are available upon request. We accept all major credit cards. Nosotros hablamos Español!
We take all personal injury claims on a contingent fee basis. You won’t pay any attorney fees unless we recover compensation for your losses.
The Lee Law Firm, LLC
It’s Not Just Business—It’s Personal!